Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Goal and A Dream

photo complement of flickr



I have a goal. I have desired to do this for years. For about fifteen years.

The hard part is actually doing it. It is daunting. Much bigger than myself. I have the desire and the drive to do it. To climb this mountain. I am just sizing it up right now. I have sat under experts and continually stand amazed at their gift. I have tried different times, to no avail. I feel like the time is right. Now. How does one begin a larger than life project? Well, at the beginning. Lots of reading and listening. Mainly dreaming. Oh the dreams are big!
Isn't that so fun? I think as a wife and mom, I benefit my family by stretching myself. Stretching would be an understatement at this point. I am probably more like Bambi on ice. I believe God has given me this desire to push myself out of my comfort zone and go for it. I might not achieve any Caldecott honors or awards, but I am going to do my best. I am going to climb this Mount, Lord willing. Words last. So, to my boys, I will leave a legacy to them from me.
I guess you could say, fingerprints on the paper.
I want to weave words. To make stories that capture the minds of the children and take them to the places they dream of. Mainly, I want my children to know the power of words. I want them to know their thoughts and ideas are important. I want them to know the beautiful art that it is. The music that can flow from the line of a written message. To me, a story is a song in and of itself.
It is a little scary to actually write these words. It seems I am now acknowledging my dream of writing and failure is quite likely. So, perhaps the process is more profitable than the end result. I imagine I will learn more about myself through this experience. I am learning persistence, I am learning the importance of sizing a mountain before the climb and planning, but the dream is what I hold to when the mountain top has hazy clouds around the top and is out of sight. The dream is big. I can just close my eyes, dream, and sing a song through words on paper knowing there is a mountain top even though I can't see it. Yet.

3 comments:

Tonja said...

Girlfriend...you just take a deep breath and "go for it!" You can do it! There will never be a better day than today to start. And, the dream will seem ever so far off the longer you wait to start. So, start, already! I believe in the power of words, and I love your imagery of words being like music. I think it is so. I feel like time is nipping at my heels these days. There is so much I want to get written down for my boys and my grandchildren. But, you...you have so many years ahead of you with which to weave those stories and make them into a symphony! Go, on...start!!!

Darby said...

Oh Andi, I'm just giddy for you! Isn't it so exciting to aim for your dreams... no matter how high they are! I can't wait hear more and READ more of your dreams. Feel free to run your practice runs by us blog readers! And yes, lets do get together soon!

kristen said...

Good for you! You can certainly do it! What a blessing you are for your family!:)